Mobile game marketing aims to attract more players to your game with the ultimate goal of increasing revenue. Like marketing any product, there are many ways to develop a strategy that ensures your game reaches its target audience.
There are many strategy elements that can increase the visibility of a game:
- Paid mobile game advertising
- Organic game marketing
- Influencer marketing campaigns
Combining these advertising elements to create a comprehensive mobile game marketing strategy can elevate your game and get the attention of a wide audience.
Paid Mobile Game Marketing Campaigns
Mobile game advertising campaigns are primarily ads run on various platforms used by target audiences. These paid user acquisition campaigns are effective because of highly targeted advertising to qualified leads. This is the key strategy used by mobile gaming marketers.
The Best Ad Formats for Mobile Game Advertising
Video ads- Video ads are a great way to showcase the game’s dynamics and graphics.
Banner ads – Banner ads are clickable ads that help increase game awareness, traffic, and conversions.
Playable ads – Playable ads allow new players to experience a part of the gameplay before downloading.
Paid mobile game marketing campaigns are successful when you really understand your target audience, such as what they like, where they spend their time, and how they interact with games.
Optimising Mobile Game Marketing Campaigns
As with all marketing strategies, optimisation is essential to the outcome of the campaign. Setting metrics for success and analysing data at regular intervals is the best way to understand what elements of a campaign are effective and which need adjusting.
You need to monitor performance indicators (KPIs) such as:
Click-through rates (CTRs)
Conversion rates cost per install (CPI)
Knowing this data will give you the information to fine-tune your strategies to ensure maximum return on investment (ROI). The overall goal is to attract customers who pay to play, not just users who enjoy the game but never pay.
Your Mobile Game Marketing Campaign Best
The mobile gaming ecosystem is always changing. The range of people who download games and the trends people follow change. It is important that marketers make informed decisions that align with current trends and the evolving preferences of your target players.
Organic mobile game marketing is a strategy that complements paid mobile game marketing campaigns to create a comprehensive marketing strategy.
Organic Mobile Game Marketing
Organic user acquisition is the result of good app store optimisation. Having your game featured beside already popular games and getting media attention will drive organic traffic. Social media marketing, and user-generated content and blogs are all great ways to get attention.
App Store Optimization (ASO)
Mobile game marketing primarily relies on ASO. App store optimisation requires you to optimise your game’s page on app stores to increase its visibility in search results and improve conversion rates. It involves optimising the game’s description, keywords, title and images to boost its appeal and discoverability. ASO allows marketers to promote a mobile game for free, and if well-structured, ASO also significantly boosts organic downloads.
Content Marketing for Mobile Games
Content marketing is a powerful tool, especially for mobile game marketing. Potential customers engage with valuable, relevant content like images, videos, and infographics. Content marketing engages audiences and attracts organic traffic by sharing insights and tips related to your game.
Social Media Marketing for Mobile Games
Social media marketing is an essential component of organic mobile game marketing. Social media platforms allow gamers to build online communities around games. Some of the most successful app games have found their traction on social media with engaged audiences sharing their success, frustration and enjoyment of a game that is accessible and easily shared with an online community.
User Generated Content
Leveraging user-generated content encourages other players to share their in-game experiences, achievements, and creative content. Peer-to-peer sharing of content related to your game adds authenticity and generates interest in your game.
Mobile Game Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing and micro influencer marketing continue to be one of the most effective ways to connect with target audiences. Collaborating with influencers continues to work despite audiences understanding that influencers are paid content creators. The power of word-of-mouth marketing and trust embedded in influencer marketing.
Mobile game influencer marketing allows for targeted outreach. Influencers have a dedicated following based on their desire to connect with others following specific gaming genres. The endorsement of such influencers can significantly boost your game’s credibility and visibility.
Influencers who create unique, engaging content that resonates with audiences drive traffic for downloads of your game.
A successful mobile game influencer marketing campaign starts with identifying the right influencer for your game. Their interests and values need to align with that of your company and game. Start by researching potential influencers, their target audience and reach. Offering an influencer collaboration opportunity needs to be approached in the same way as any other content creation. Research and understand the values of the influencer and examine their past to be certain that there is an alignment between your values and that of your chosen influencer. Be sure to select a professional who understands how to deliver content and who values the opportunity to use their platform.
- Choose the right social platform: Different platforms cater to different audiences. Research to find the platform where your target audience is most active.
- Engagement matters: Micro influencers, or those with between 10,000 to 100,000 followers, are said to have more engaged audiences. The engagement rate is more important than the follower count.
- Track performance metrics: Add tracking links and use promo codes to monitor the performance of your campaigns and measure ROI.
- Build relationships: Developing long-term relationships with influencers will give you the opportunity to create ongoing promotions and collaborations with trusted influencers.
Key Mobile Games Promotion Platforms
Promoting your game on the right platforms is crucial for success. Each platform has its own audience and purpose, even if they cross-over. Selecting the right mix of platforms can significantly boost your game’s visibility and popularity.
Mobile Game Ad Networks
When it comes to paid mobile game marketing, ad networks are a valuable tool for increasing your exposure. These networks act as intermediaries that boost your game ad across a number of platforms.
This means your mobile game ads appear in other mobile games, on websites, in mobile apps across different genres, and in video streams.
Popular ad networks such as Google AdMob, Facebook, and Unity Ads allow you to reach potential users in diverse digital environments. Highly targeted campaigns developed using ad network metrics ensure that your ad appears at the right time to the right audience based on user data. Essentially your ad is placed before qualified leads and you can expect higher conversion rates than free ads.
Best Ad Networks for Acquiring Players
According to reviews, the top ad networks for acquiring high-quality players with good retention rates are:
- Google Ads
- Unity Ads
- TikTok for Business
Social Media Platforms for Marketing a Mobile Game
Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok offer unique opportunities to engage with audiences. These platforms offer both paid advertising and organic engagement opportunities through content marketing and collaboration.
Effective social media marketing is based on a clear understanding of your customer persona, engaging content, and community building.
Basic Game App Marketing Steps
- Develop a Marketing Plan
The first step is to develop a comprehensive mobile game marketing plan. This blueprint will give you a clear vision to ensure your content voice is aligned with your overall objectives and plan your resource distribution.
- Start by brainstorming game promotion ideas. This could include a mix of paid advertising, influencer partnerships, social media campaigns, and content marketing.
- Know your USP. Consider the unique aspects of your game and how best to showcase them.
- Create a calendar. Outline a timeline for publishing content and ads, allocate your budget across different channels, and decide on the tools and resources you will need.
- Setting your KPIs. Measuring the success of your mobile game marketing plan is essential to your budget and strategy development. KPIs should include metrics such as install numbers, player retention rates, average revenue per user (ARPU), and conversion rates.
- Determine your Target Audience
Marketing strategy is essentially about identifying and understanding your target audience. This includes tailoring your marketing efforts to reach the right players, and ensuring that your resources are used effectively. Specifying your genre, game play type and other specifics about your game app will guide your efforts to find your target audience.
Personalisation is a huge part of any marketing strategy and when you know who your target customer is you can create content, ads and promotions that resonate with users, increasing player engagement and retention rates.
- Determine the target audience. Research and understand who your ideal players are.
- Analyse market trends. It is essential to learn about competitor games, and player demographics such as age, gender, location, interests, and gaming preferences.
- Player segmentation. Segmenting players based on behavioural patterns, such as spending habits or game genres, or demographic factors, like age groups or geographical locations, can make it easier to personalise targeting.
- Grouping users. Creating cohorts allows for more targeted and efficient mobile game advertising strategies. Research shows that the motivation for players who play match-3 puzzle games are problem solving, exercising cognitive skills, passing time, and relaxing, so targeting players with these specific motivations is easy.
- Mobile Gaming Ads
The next step in a paid user acquisition strategy is creative production, or creating ads for marketing your mobile game. Your mobile gaming ads need to be engaging and present the game in a way that piques interest and motivates downloads.
Creating a video ad requires market research, script writing, creative production, and testing.
- Start by doing research. Analyse your competitors’ ads using Facebook’s Ad Library or other ad intelligence platforms, and identify creative trends for a particular genre.
- Write a script. Outline each scene and write notes for editing. Consider the game genre and features, and the target audience.
- Apply your market research findings. Use creative trends and A/B test them on audiences.
Use your script to create the most effective mobile gaming ads.
- Create video ads that grab attention in the first three seconds. Start with an exciting gameplay scene or pose a challenge to pull viewers in with a fast and simple ad.
- Keep ads short and simple, between 15 and 30 seconds is the optimal time.
- The tone of your ad should match the tone of your game. If you are pitching a game for engaging, pulse rising action, your ad should be fast paced, loud and full of excitement. If your game is about relaxation and escapism, set the scene with quiet music and slow footage.
- Remember to add a clear CTA. People need to know how to access the game they are now excited about, so the button needs to be a clear link to the game and download.
- Organic Mobile Game Marketing
Organic mobile game marketing focuses on app store optimisation.This means people find your game organically, they have found their way to your app by following their own interests.
Your investment in organic search is minimal compared with other advertising. While you invest in content marketing and creation, your ROI is very high and retention tends to also be higher.
The main app store elements used in organic SEO are;
Game title – should be catchy and include relevant keywords without appearing spammy.
Icon – The icon must be visually appealing and representative of the game’s theme.
Description – Craft your description to be informative, engaging, and keyword-rich.
Keywords – Carefully select keywords that are relevant and have high search volumes.
Screenshots and App promo video – You should highlight unique features and gameplay. Together, these elements not only improve the visibility of your game but also entice users to download it.
These elements make your game visible and should be the focus of content marketing aimed at organic traffic.
Localising your app store listing is another vital aspect of ASO. This involves translating and adapting your game’s title, description, keywords, and visuals to for your audience in different regions, worldwide.
- In Game Promotion
Promoting your mobile game in other mobile games is a common way to attract players. Many games monetize by displaying mobile gaming ads, which can be very effective if the games share a similar target audience but are not direct competitors.
This mobile gaming marketing strategy involves placing your game’s ads within other mobile games, typically through ad networks that specialise in mobile gaming advertising. These ads take various forms, such as interstitials, banner ads, or playable ads.
Look for games that have a similar demographic but offer different gameplay. For example, fast-paced puzzle games are common and the same players often enjoy word games. A cross advertising strategy can help attract traffic and get the attention of qualified leads.
When advertising your game in other mobile games, consider:
- Target genres: Choose games in similar genres or with similar themes to ensure audience relevance.
- Creative ad content: Develop engaging and creative ads that stand out. Playable ads can be particularly effective at getting attention.
- Monitor ad performance: Use analytics to track the performance of your ads, like click-through rates and conversion rates, and adjust your strategy to achieve better results.
- Engagement and Management
Community engagement and management are essential to your marketing strategy. The type of community you nurture around your game will drive its organic growth. Some of the biggest online gaming communities surround world-building games.
Communities create a sense of belonging among players. A strong community can act as a powerful marketing tool, with players themselves becoming advocates for the game.
Engaged communities provide valuable feedback, help in identifying issues, and can even drive content creation. They also play a key role in player retention, as social interactions and a sense of belonging can keep players coming back to your game.
- Set up in-game chat rooms, forums, and social media groups for players to interact.
- Share UGC, such as game play, videos and tips that encourage players to engage.
- Provide regular updates and comment on player interactions to show that you are actively involved as the creator and coordinator of the game.
- Host events and organise player interactions on monitored and safe platforms.
- Reward active community members with in-game rewards, and encourage membership with attractive offers.
- Work with an Experienced Mobile Game Marketing Agency
There are many benefits of working with an experienced mobile game expert team. They have the experience to understand your data and how to create a strategy that optimises your opportunities.
When you collaborate with a specialised marketing agency, you have access to advantages, such as:
- Expertise and experience: Mobile game marketing agencies have the knowledge and experience in marketing a mobile game to understand industry trends, effective strategies, and the nuances of different marketing platforms.
- Agencies can provide the resources and tools that may not be readily available in-house. This includes access to sophisticated analytics tools, creative talent and connections for influencer partnerships.
- Working with an agency can be more time and cost-effective as an agency can quickly mobilise resources and execute strategies, reducing the time to market.
- A mobile game marketing agency will create a tailored marketing strategy that aligns with your specific game and business goals. Mobile game marketing agencies focus on delivering measurable results, based on data that is used to optimise campaigns and maximise ROI.
Choosing a Mobile Game Marketing Agency
- Choose a mobile game marketing agency that understands the unique aspects of your game and shares your vision for its success.
- Examine the agency’s track record and previous campaigns in mobile game marketing. Review their portfolio to assess their success in the field.
- Ensure the agency offers the specific services you need, such as influencer marketing, creative production, or analytics.
- Choose an agency that values transparency in its processes and maintains open lines of communication.
- Find an agency that aligns with your company’s culture and values, as a strong partnership relies on mutual understanding and cooperation.
Successfully marketing a mobile game requires a combination of strategies that include paid campaigns to organic ASO techniques. Marketing is about reaching the right audience, engaging them effectively, and converting their interest into downloads and active gameplay and pay-to-play engagement.
It is important to remember to tailor your approach to your specific game and audience. Appeal to your target audience with personalised content and understanding of your USP.
The overall goal is to create lasting relationships with players. This means developing a connection from initial user acquisition through to ongoing engagement, community building, and regular updates.
To successfully market and promote a mobile game requires creativity, adaptability, and a keen understanding of the gaming industry and your audience.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
We would just like to remind you that all posts are the opinion of the writer only. We don’t take payment to write articles or reviews and we do not offer advertising or advertorial space on our blog. Everything expressed in our blogs is simply an opinion.